D&C Early Abortion (up to 13 weeks)
A D&C (Dilation and Curretage) is the most common method of early abortion. This method is simple and considered the safest and most convenient way to end an early pregnancy. A D&C procedure is routine, considered safe and will not affect your ability to get pregnant in the future.
How It Works
- The procedure involves a gentle aspiration of the pregnancy tissue and possibly a mild scraping of the uterine cavity to ensure its completeness.
- This minor surgery is done with local or deep sedation anesthesia.
- Your doctor will help you decide which anesthesia is best for you.
- D&C abortion procedures are performed in the facility’s operating rooms and take under 10 minutes.
- Recovery time is about 30 to 45 minutes before you will be discharged home with your care instructions.
- There may be mild cramping, minimal bleeding, and it feels much like menstrual cramps.
- Usually you can go home and resume normal activities in the next day or two.
Most patients seen at Pilgrim are referred from private physicians who prefer to have their patients taken care of by us. For this reason, we do not recommend a mandatory post-operative visit.
However, if you do not have a private physician, Pilgrim offers this service (a post-operative visit) for a fee of $70.
This visit includes initiation of birth control.